Making the difficult decision to downsize your company can cause upheaval for everyone involved, not the least of which are your employees themselves. More and more, employers are striving to soften the impact of displacing employees by providing outplacement services, which help prepare exiting team members to secure a new position through career support and education.
Understanding Outplacement Services
Resume and Career Services’ outplacement services are employer-provided benefits for employees as part of a severance package. They help displaced individuals obtain the skills they need to find a new position faster. These skills may include:
- Determining their ideal career path
- Writing a resume and cover letter
- Building a profile and optimizing LinkedIn
- Applying for positions
- Networking tactics
- Interviewing skills
- Securing offers and negotiating salaries
Key Benefits of Outplacement Services
Outplacement services certainly benefit employees who have been displaced due to a company’s downsizing by helping them gain the skills needed to secure a new position. They also benefit the company that provides the outplacement services in several ways, including:
- Manage Your Brand Reputation: Providing outplacement services shows that you care about your employees, which can help with your future employee-recruitment efforts.
- Mitigate Risks: Supporting employees during a layoff typically means they are less likely to sue the company, speak poorly about the downsizing situation, or respond in a violent manner.
- Boost Employee Morale: When the employees you retain know that displaced employees are cared for by the company during downsizing, they generally feel better about the company and their positions.
- Reduce Unemployment Costs: The faster employees can secure new positions, the fewer unemployment benefits you will have to provide, saving you money.
What Resume and Career Services Provides
Our expert team of resume writers and career advocates have the experience, relationships, and tools to help candidates discover their strengths so they can land their next position faster.
Resume and Career Services’ outplacement program utilizes this expertise to help your employees find their next career once they leave your company. Our insight into applying, interviewing, and landing the job is an invaluable resource that will set employees up for success in their future job search and career advancement. And as their previous employer, you can rest assured that they are being supported.
Our outplacement services include:
- Career Advancement Program: A perfect, cost-effective solution that teaches everything candidates need to know to navigate a successful job search, our self-directed program provides more than 100 lessons delivered in articles, videos, audios, and ebooks. Plus, members have access to our dedicated team and other members of the program through a closed LinkedIn group.
- Resume Writing and LinkedIn Profile Optimization: When added to the Career Advancement Program, you can improve your employees’ chances of success by having a member of our team write their resume and write and optimize their LinkedIn profile. We spend the time needed to learn about candidates’ goals, experiences, and accomplishments to best present them in a way that works with online application systems as well as with recruiters and employers.
Plus, through our relationships with top-level recruiting firms, we offer an added bonus that many outplacement firms cannot: placement assistance. The Resume and Career Services team can easily share candidates with recruiters in their chosen industries to help job seekers find new roles even faster.
Ready to learn more about how Resume and Career Services can help minimize the challenges associated with downsizing? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 480-422-1939 to speak with an outplacement specialist who will identify your needs and develop an individualized solution for your company.